Every paper shredder we sell is HIPAA compliant.
- Stands for the Health Insurance Portability
and Accountability Act of 1996
- Mandates stringent privacy/confidentiality standards regarding
individuals' health information.
- Establishes minimum federal confidentiality
standards, but state laws providing greater consumer protection also still
extend not only to covered entities, but also to any business associates
used for administrative
and other services.
Secure Shredders suggests
- Keep all patient information secure, and destroy that which no longer
needs to be retained.
Ensure that your associates return or destroy all patient information
upon contract termination, and that they retain NO copies.
- Be aware of the criminal and civil penalties that you could
face for violating HIPAA standards.